Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pies

This blog post is written by my friend Mary, whom I've known for, well, many years.  We were sorority sisters at Oklahoma State University and roommates after college.  She currently lives in Delaware and manages the Creative Department at a local TV station.  She also teaches two classes at a local community college. Mary and I love to swap recipes and when she visits, we always make time to whip up a delicious recipe or two.  I hope you enjoy her post and her Chocolate Peanut Butter Pies. -Karen

I love to cook, and I also like appetizers or desserts that look fancy but are easy to make.  On the downside, I do not like to grocery shop or clean.  So when my friend Karen asked me to write a guest blog, I was honored but also a little nervous.  What could I make that would require minimal time in the store and nearly no dish washing?

That's when I came up with these mini-chocolate peanut butter pastries. Really, who doesn't love chocolate AND peanut butter?  The recipe only has two ingredients, and the clean up involves tossing the parchment paper in the trash and licking a spoon (okay-you can wash it after you lick it).  And a bonus-each serving is only approximately 176 calories.



What you need to buy- Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets and Jif whips- Whipped Peanut Butter and Chocolate.  I highly recommend this whipped combo.  Not only is it tasty, but it has fewer calories than regular peanut butter.  Two tablespoons-150 vs. 200 calories.  (But each serving will only have one TBSP- see below).  You can substitute ready-made pie crust for the puff pastry, but it's not as decadent.



Start by thawing the sheets of the puff pastry (about 30-40 minutes). Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Using a pizza slicer, cut each pastry sheet into nine squares.

Add no more than one tablespoon of the whipped peanut butter and chocolate in the center of each pastry square.




Fold over each pastry and press to close.  You may want to add a little water on the edges before pressing in order to get a better seal.



Using a fork, give the edges a final seal and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 10-15 minutes until pastries are puffy and lightly browned.

After removing from oven, filling will be very hot, so let them cool (if you can wait).

Store in an airtight container.  Honestly, I can't tell you how long they will keep because they usually disappear immediately at parties.


Here's the ooops picture!  
One box of pastries will make 18 pies.  Or if you want more bite size pies, just cut smaller squares and use less filling.  The goal is to not overfill so you get a good seal around the edges or else this is what happens.  Not so pretty but still yummy. Enjoy!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pies
1 box Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
Jif Whips- Whipped Peanut Butter and Chocolate

Thaw puff pastry sheets.  Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut each sheet into 9 squares.  Place 1 TBSP or less of whipped peanut butter and chocolate in the center of each square.  Fold and seal by pressing and using a fork.  Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat.  Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.  Makes 18 pies.  176 calories each.
Mary- you had me at peanut butter AND chocolate!  The best combination ever invented.  These remind me of the chocolate turnovers that I love to get from Arby's.  Now, I can get my chocolate and peanut butter fix at home.  Thanks! -Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts with The Teacher Dish!