Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sausage Gravy

This is a definite stick-to-your-ribs, down home kind of breakfast.  Sausage Gravy was a staple in our house growing up.  We didn't eat it every day, but it was an occasional weekend treat.  It was a favorite in the breakfast rotation menu.


I actually learned how to make sausage gravy from my friend Sonya who, by the way, is a fabulous cook. Of course, nobody makes it like my mom, or my friend Sonya, but I always give it my best shot.

This morning seemed liked the perfect morning for a hearty breakfast because THIS is what our backyard looked like today (see below pic).  These are my sous chefs- Minnie and Molly.


I made this gluten free version especially for my husband.  He LOVES biscuits and gravy and feels cheated when we go out to breakfast and it's never a menu option for him.

To make things easy, I made some drop biscuits from Betty Crocker's Gluten Free Bisquick Mix.  You just need 2 cups of Bisquick Mix, 1/3 cup shortening (I substituted a stick of butter), 3 eggs, and 3/4 cup milk. They only take about 13 minutes to bake in the oven.

For the gravy, just use your favorite gf sausage and gf flour mix.  I used the Dolmata brand that is seasoned (I'll include a pic) so it adds a great flavor to the gravy.  Really, you can use any brand or you can use corn starch too.

Here's what you'll need:
1 package sausage
3 cups milk
3 teaspoons flour
salt
pepper

Here's the flour I was telling you about.
It comes in regular, seasoned, and a pizza dough.
It needs to be kept in the refrigerator or freezer.
Here's what to do:
Brown sausage into crumbles in a skillet on medium heat.


Once sausage in browned and crumbled.  Sprinkle 3 teaspoons of flour over sausage. If you have a lot of grease, then you may need to add another teaspoon or two.


The flour will absorb the grease from the sausage.  Stir together and cook on medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes.

Add in 2 cups of milk.  I used 2 percent milk because that's all I had in the fridge.  Turn heat up to medium high so milk and sausage mixture begin to bubble.  Stir occasionally to thicken gravy.  They make special gravy spoons, but really why bother with something extra.  You just need a wooden spoon and stir, stir, stir. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes.  It will bubble up when you're not stirring.  Just stir when you see it bubbling.


After about 10 minutes, add in another cup of milk and stir.  Add in salt and pepper to taste.  Cook for about another 10 minutes on low heat.


If gravy gets too thick, just add a little more milk.

If you have leftovers, just put gravy in a covered container and keep in fridge. It will keep for a few days. Or, you can even put in an airtight container, freeze and save for another breakfast!  Put a couple of your biscuits in a freezer bag. too.  Then, you can have biscuits and gravy on any morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts with The Teacher Dish!