Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Grandma's Potato Soup

I love recipes that are handed down from one generation to another.  This recipe for potato soup is my Grandma's.  Using her recipes is one way to remember how much I loved her. This recipe is inexpensive to make, delicious, and hearty on a cold winter night.  My Grandma showed my mom how to make it and we ate it all the time growing up.  I'm sure there are fancier ways of making potato soup, but I kept the recipe just like my mom taught me how to make it.  In fact, my mom and I made this soup together!  Cooking (and eating!) is a great way to bring generations together.
Here's what you'll need:
2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
4 large Idaho potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups whole milk
* potato flakes (for thicker soup)

For garnish:  shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and chopped green onion.

Makes 8 -10 servings.




Here's what to do:

Peel and cut potatoes into cubes.  I like to leave some of the skin on.  Chop celery and onions.

Put potatoes in soup pot and cover with water.  Boil on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.

Add in celery, onion, salt and pepper.  Cook for another 10 minutes on medium, or until potatoes are tender.




Add in 1 stick butter.  Stir until all combined.



Add in milk and stir until combined.



Using a potato masher, mash potatoes in soup four times.



If you like a thicker soup, add in 1/2 package of potato flakes.



Turn off heat and serve soup while it is warm.  Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and chopped green onions.

This soup only takes about forty-five minutes from prep time to completion.  It's even more delicious the next day as leftovers, or you can freeze leftovers and save for later!  I like to serve my potato soup with either a crusty bread, a BLT sandwich, or grilled cheese and ham sandwiches.  My mom likes her soup with saltine crackers.



I hope you enjoy my Grandma's recipe and have make memories cooking for and with people you love!
-Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts with The Teacher Dish!