Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Spinach Apple Salad

Pork chops and apples go together like ying and yang.  Growing up my mom always served pork chops with applesauce. It always tasted great. Tonight I planned to have grilled pork chops for dinner and at first I thought about serving it with applesauce, but honestly I didn't want to go to the trouble of making it and I didn't have any on hand. So, I decided to make a salad using crisp, Granny Smith apples.  The mustard dressing, crisp apples, walnuts and blue cheese were the perfect compliment to the pork chop.


Here's what you'll need:
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
1 pinch salt
1 granny smith apple, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
5 ounces spinach leaves (1 container)

Makes about 4 servings.

Two apples are shown, but you'll only need one apple!
Here's what to do:
Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey and salt.

Add in apples and onions.  Let them marinate for about 20 minutes in dressing.



Add in spinach leaves, blue cheese crumbles, and walnuts.  Toss together.


This salad was so good!  The dressing was perfect and just the right amount.  It would be great with grilled chicken too.  You could substitute pecans for walnuts.  I loved it and so did my husband.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts with The Teacher Dish!