Thursday, June 11, 2015

Beef Broccoli Stir Fry

My wok made it's grand debut tonight.  I have to make a confession.  This lovely wedding present has been sitting in my closet for quite some time.  I completely forgot all about it to be honest.  Who has room for a big wok in their kitchen cabinets??  Not me.  So, it's been in a closet just waiting for me to notice it again. Tonight was the night!  And it all happened because of a leftover veggie tray.  I went to a party last week and had tons of broccoli and carrots left over.  Aha, I thought.  This would be great in a stir fry AND I have a wok! I decided to put it together with a few other ingredients to make this delicious Beef Broccoli Stir Fry.  


Here's what you'll need:

For the marinade:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce (I use a gluten-free brand)
2 teaspoons crushed ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic

Here are two of my cheats!  I use frozen crushed ginger.
It comes in little cubes that you just pop out and add to your dish.
I also use minced garlic from a jar.  
For the stir fry:
1 pound sliced beef (you can buy it pre-sliced in the meat section of your grocery store)
2 cups broccoli florets (I buy the pre-cut ones in the bag)
1 cup carrots, cut into small pieces
2 cups mushrooms
1 red pepper, cut into slices
1/2 yellow onion, cut into thin slices

For the sauce
1 cup water
1/2 cup soy sauce (gluten-free)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried ginger OR two frozen crushed ginger cubes (see pic above)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch

Makes 4 servings.

Here's what to do:

Marinate the slices of beef in the water, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger marinade for about 30 minutes.


Add 2 tablespoons of oil and heat up your wok or skillet on high heat.  Add slices of beef along with the marinade to wok.  Cook for 3-5 minutes until meat isn't pink.


Add in onions, carrots, peppers, and mushrooms.  Stir and cook 2 to 3 more minutes.



Add in broccoli.  Stir and cook another 3-5 minutes.



Add sauce and cook until sauce thickens.


For a garnish, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.  Serve with rice or noodles, or just plain!
I really wish I'd used my wok sooner!  This was a fun dish to make and  so easy!  Now, we can have Chinese take-out at home anytime we want!!  I'm already planning my next stir fry adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts with The Teacher Dish!